Tuesday, November 18, 2014

How He speaks to me.


A couple nights ago my companion Sister Jorgensen and I were walking on the streets talking to new friends we would come in contact with. As we walked I turned to her and said, "Sister Jorgensen we have both been on our missions for a little over a year and I feel as though I have now finally gotten the hang of things. I know how to .........." I went on and on about things I have learned and how I have become more confident in being a missionary. Then I ended by saying, "....it just makes me sad that by the time you understand all of this and figure it out your time left on the mission is really short." We both went on to discuss this fact. 



The next preparation day came and I was reading my emails from home. I read a message from my dad and immediately said, " Sister Jorgensen you have to hear this!" I then read part of the email to her. My dad wrote about when he was on his mission at the point I am at now. He share how he had had some of the exact same feelings and thoughts that I was speaking about with Sister Jorgensen a couple nights previous. He then finished by sharing his thoughts on that amount of time he had had left on his mission and what he did to make it the best. He referred to it as a BONUS from Heavenly Father. 

After reading that to her I turned to Sister Jorgensen and she said to me. "I have goose bumps! Wow we just talked about that!" I responded with, "I know! Right!" 

I have thought about that experience and how I am so grateful for it. Not only that but I know that through means like my father, The Lord speaks to me. 



As I have been on my mission I have learned a lot about the voice of The Lord and how He speaks to us. A lot of people desire the voice of The Lord to come down loud like the experience of Moses and the burning bush. Some wish to actually see Him like Thomas after Christs resurrection. Though these experiences most certainly occurred and could still occur, The Lord uses different ways to speak to us individually. 

One of my favorite scriptures in The Book of Mormon is 2 Nephi 31:3 

 ....for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.

I knew that The Lord was very much aware of my conversation with Sister Jorgensen. He used a different means to let me know that as well. I know that He knows us each personally. He cares for us and wants to help us. He speaks to us daily yet often we don't listen. Look for the ways that they Lord speaks to you. He will speak to you. I know that to be true. 


-Sister Schramm

For an awesome video on How The Lord speaks to us click HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment